Seeing RSX's impressive run up over the past year, RBL has considerable hurdles to overcome if it hopes to steal market share. The fund, however, does have some qualities working to its advantage.
First, RBL's index is considerably more diversified. Although, for the most part, top energy positions will dominate the fund's performance, RBL's 72 holdings construct a more encompassing representation of Russia's market than RSX, which tracks 37 companies.
Further aiding RBL in its effort to develop a following is the fact that it is less expensive than its competitor, albeit by a very slim margin. Charging 0.59%, the fund is 3 basis points cheaper than RSX.
For now, RBL, in its infancy, will likely remain a lightly traded option. Therefore, investors would be best off watching it from the sidelines. RSX has already proven to be an effective, successful means of playing this emerging market titan and remains the overwhelming weapon of choice.-- Written by Don Dion in Williamstown, Mass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV