In a press release issued this week by BYD, the company outlined a far less dramatic plan for its electric vehicle going forward. Rather than producing the E6 on a grand scale, the company will instead produce 100 models to be used as taxis in Shenzhen, the company's home city. Further development is expected to be dependant on the success of this program.
In abandoning its plans for a mass produced electric car in China, the company will likely have to lean on other methods of turning profit. Expect BYD to focus more heavily on its F3 model. While not as revolutionary as a fully electric automobile, this sedan has risen to become one of the most popular cars in China.
Electric cars will be a growing part of the automobile market, and with models like the E6, BYD is likely to be a frontrunner when the trend takes off. Until then, the company can ensure that it will continue to provide investors with strong, stable returns by focusing on more tried and true methods of making money in the present.
Now that BYD has abandoned its bold plan to mass produce an electric car in 2010, does this company still have the same appeal? Feel free to leave a comment below.-- Written by Don Dion in Williamstown, Mass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV