NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- There are some big retail movers Thursday afternoon, as earnings season winds down for the sector.
One of the day's biggest gainers is Stein Mart (SMRT), which is surging by 12.8% to $10.66 after it reported fourth-quarter results that topped estimates.
During the quarter, the department store swung to a profit of $2.7 million, or 6 cents a share, compared with a loss of $56.2 million, or $1.35, in the year-ago period. Excluding store closing and impairment charges of 13 cents per share, Stein Mart's profit was 19 cents, higher than the 17 cents a share analysts forecast.
Stein Mart's sales fell 6% to $341.8 million, while its same-store sales declined 6%.GameStop (GME) is also spiking on its better-than-expected earnings and optimistic guidance. During the quarter, GameStop earned $215.9 million, or $1.29 a share, a 7% decline compared with $232.3 million, or $1.39, in the year-ago period. Analysts expected the video game retailer to earn $1.28 a share. The company attributed the profit decline to weak same-store sales during the all-important holiday season, which tumbled 7.9%. Still, revenue increased to $3.52 billion from $3.49 billion in the prior year. Looking ahead, however, GameStop foresees full-year earnings in the range of $2.58 to $2.68 a share, significantly higher than Wall Street's forecast of $2.26 a share. Shares of GameStop are growing 7.7% to $21.39.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV