NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The price of Ford (F) stock reached a five-year high Thursday after Moody's Investors Service boosted Ford and Ford Motor Credit ratings. But can it keep up this momentum?
Many equity analysts think Ford still potential to do so, despite being up against the weakened, but still formidable rival Toyota (TM); yet offer some cautionary notes. Ford stock hit an intraday high of $14.15 a share Thursday, up 4.9%, and reaching levels not seen since January 2005.
"One of the reasons I liked Ford so much about a year ago was its new product lineup and that hasn't changed," Wall Street Strategies analyst David Silver says. (Both Silver and members of his family own Ford stock.)
"If anything," Silver continues, "the success of some of the new vehicles has surpassed even my expectations. Also, the auto market in North America continues to improve, and while there are going to be up and down months, it is better than last year. Stronger sales coupled with the improving cost structure bode extremely well for Ford in the coming quarters.... General Motors indicated it could earn a profit during 2010, and if that is true, then Ford will be even stronger."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV