He presented them with a scenario. There's a new strategic opportunity that will have a high return. Any skilled analyst would recognize that it adds shareholder value to plow money into this opportunity. How would you communicate this to the marketplace?
Fifteen years ago, the investment chiefs said, they would have been grilled by a research analyst, forced to explain the intended benefit and, if their message resonated, they could expect "buy" recommendations and a higher stock price.
"They would just say we missed the quarter and we would get 'sell' ratings."The problem, in part, lies with the financial freefall that defined 2008 and led to the wholesale withdrawal of money from active fund managers. Many funds disappeared and, in turn, many research analysts were laid off. DeTore says the shift has left the capital-allocation system in disarray. "What if we are not being very good at identifying bad ideas and the capital isn't following the good ideas?'' he says. "When our market system functions well, it's through people buying and selling shares, taking capital from the weaker companies and giving it to the innovative ones." DeTore says there's no shortage of young, bright and eager students hoping for a career in investment research. Firms just need to once again recognize the value. "Those investment firms that have maintained their dedication to excellent fundamental research will have a real edge in today's markets," he says. -- Reported by Joe Mont in Boston.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV