Dow Up Eight Days in Row
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The Dow finished higher for the eighth consecutive session, but the other major indices were hardly changed Thursday, as investors grappled with a raft of data.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average added 45.5 points, or 0.4%, to close at 10,779. The S&P 500 lost less than a point, or 0.03%, to close at 1166, and the Nasdaq lifted by 2 points, or 0.09%, to finish at 2391.
Investors seemed to take a step back after U.S. indices hit new yearly highs in the previous session, spurred by the Federal Reserve's decision Wednesday to keep interest rates low for an extended period."Anytime you have the prospect of low rates for a long time, that's a good signal that sales will be strong, which will in turn help profits," said Mike Schenk, a senior economist at Credit Union National Association. "It's conceivable that
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV