Dow Up Eight Days in Row
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The Dow finished higher for the eighth consecutive session, but the other major indices were hardly changed Thursday, as investors grappled with a raft of data.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average added 45.5 points, or 0.4%, to close at 10,779. The S&P 500 lost less than a point, or 0.03%, to close at 1166, and the Nasdaq lifted by 2 points, or 0.09%, to finish at 2391.
Investors seemed to take a step back after U.S. indices hit new yearly highs in the previous session, spurred by the Federal Reserve's decision Wednesday to keep interest rates low for an extended period."Anytime you have the prospect of low rates for a long time, that's a good signal that sales will be strong, which will in turn help profits," said Mike Schenk, a senior economist at Credit Union National Association. "It's conceivable that
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV