DETROIT - General Motors , long non-committal about the timing of its IPO, may be eyeing an offering late this year.
Meeting with reporters in Detroit, CFO Chris Liddell said that while no timetable exists, an IPO could happen in the second half of 2010 as a result of the automaker's recent financial progress.
"His focus is on making sure we are ready when conditions are right," said GM spokeswoman Renee Rashid-Merem. "His point is it will be at the right time. He didn't exclude late this year, but it depends on what's going on in the auto market as well as the economy."
Liddell said that GM has a "reasonable chance" to make money this year, which would be its first profitable year since 2004.At the moment, GM is benefitting from both a recovering automobile market and its success in shedding costs in bankruptcy court, where it also reduced debt to $17 billion from $55 billion. At the end of the third quarter, GM had about $42 billion in cash and $29 billion in debt and preferred stock.
|Christopher Liddell, GM CFO|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV