NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- So far this year, the Claymore/Delta Global Shipping (SEA) has outperformed the broader market by a wide margin, and there is reason to believe that its winning streak will continue.
Year to date, the ETF is up 14.8%, while the S&P 500 has risen only 4.5%.
The world economy is coming out of recession, and the U.S. is finding that there is strong demand for its exports. Increased bilateral trade will be good for shippers because it means they can charge for cargo when their ships leave the U.S. and not just for U.S.-bound imports.
Many exporters are struggling with delays because there are too few ships in American ports, and this will give the shipping industry an opportunity to reduce its idle capacity. During the recession, companies put ships on standby, reducing capacity, in the same way that airlines reduce flights when passenger demand is lower.The result was that in 2009, about 500 ships, or 11% of the total shipping industry's capacity, was idle. If these companies can step up to meet the new demand for export shipping from the U.S., it will mean greater profits and better earnings for the components of SEA. The trend of increasing exports from the U.S. will also enjoy support from the government, as the Obama administration has voiced support for a reduction in America's trade deficit. It is not only the export picture from the U.S. that is improving. Importers to America have also reported that there has been difficulty in securing cargo space for shipments, meaning that a shipping recovery is proceeding due to increasing consumption that will only get stronger as unemployment decreases in the U.S. The fund provides exposure to shippers from multiple countries. SEA allocates 18.0% of its net assets to Greek companies. Shippers from the U.S. account for 13.0% of the fund, while firms registered in Bermuda and the Bahamas account for 9.9% and 8.5%, respectively.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV