Three Oil-and-Gas Stocks With Huge Gains
BOSTON (TheStreet) -- The following oil-and-gas stocks have at least quintupled since the March 2009 low. Rising commodity prices could continue to bolster performance.
3. Northern Oil & Gas (NOG) has soared 396% in the past year. It has outperformed peers over numerous time frames, as demonstrated in the chart above. Northern Oil & Gas controls leasehold positions adjacent to North Dakota's Parshall Field, a significant discovery location of the past 30 years.
Quarter: Fourth-quarter profit decreased 24% to $1.1 million, or 3 cents, as revenue more than tripled to $6.4 million. The gross margin dropped from 93% to 86% and the operating margin fell from 27% to 21%. Northern Oil & Gas holds $31 million of cash, equating to a quick ratio of 4.3, and $1.3 million of debt.
Valuation: The stock trades at a price-to-book ratio of 4.6, a discount to its peer-group average. It's expensive when considering sales and cash flow. Its PEG ratio, a measure of value relative to expected growth, of 0.3 reflects a 57% discount to the industry average. A PEG ratio below 1 signifies cheap shares.Consensus: Of four analysts covering Northern Oil & Gas, three advise purchasing its shares while one recommends holding them. Stockcross Financial offers the loftiest price target, expecting the stock to more than triple to $40. TheStreet's stock model is less optimistic, rating Northern Oil & Gas "hold."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV