WASHINGTON ( TheStreet) -- The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) finally unveiled its eagerly-anticipated national broadband plan, which aims to overhaul America's Internet infrastructure over the next decade.
In a document released on Tuesday, the FCC outlined its
strategy to turn the U.S. from an Internet laggard into a broadband leader. This includes freeing up 500 MHz of the wireless spectrum, ensuring that 100 million U.S. homes have access to 100 Megabit per second Internet speeds and a $6.5 billion funding program to build a new wireless public safety network.
|FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski|
Officials annouced plans to create a Connect America Fund (CAF) to drive broadband adoption, which will shift about $15.5 billion from the Universal Service Fund (USF) over the next decade. At the moment, the $7 billion-a-year USF is used to extend voice into rural areas, but it will eventually be morphed into a vehicle for broadband.
Over the next two to three years, Congress might also make a few billion dollars of public funds available to speed up broadband deployments, the FCC added."The fundamental goal is universally available broadband infrastructure that's affordable and world class," said FCC chairman Julius Genachowski, during a press conference. "This
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV