SuperValu shares reached $17.89 earlier in the day, their highest point in eight months, before falling back a bit to $16.91.
Since SuperValu CEO Craig Herkert took the reins in May, SuperValu has been cutting costs by shedding stores and reducing the number of products it carries.
Elsewhere in the retail sector, takeover speculation surfaced for video game retailer GameStop (GME). The news sent its stock up 6% on Thursday to $19.35. It fell slightly this morning and is currently exchanging hands at $19.24."The company generates strong free cash flow and is not getting respect as a public company," Sterne, Agee & Leach analyst Arvind Bhatia says. Thus, a takeover by a private equity firm, according to Bhatia, would make sense. GameStop declined to comment on the rumors. -- Reported by Jeanine Poggi in New York.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV