NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Several stocks trading near $5 were moving on above-average volume during Friday's session.
Sirius XM (SIRI) dipped by 1% to 90 cents after the satellite radio provider said it intends to offer $550 million of senior notes due 2015, with proceeds from any offering to be used to redeem all of Sirius XM's 9.625% senior notes due 2013. Volume topped 5.5 million shares in the first few minutes of trading, compared to the 50-day average daily volume of 91.1 million, according to the Nasdaq.
Wave Systems (WAVX) dropped by 39 cents, or 10%, to $3.51 even after the digital-security company beat expectations with a fourth-quarter loss of a penny a share on revenue of $5.2 million. Traders on Internet message boards attributed the slide in share price to a "sell the news" reaction. Shares of Wave Systems are still up nearly 150% in 2010. Volume topped 638,000 shares, compared to the 50-day average daily volume of 788,000.
Smith & Wesson (SWHC) slumped by 43 cents, or 9%, to $4.30 after the firearms company offered weak revenue guidance for its fiscal fourth quarter. This came as Smith & Wesson topped the Thomson Reuters average earnings estimate for the third quarter. Volume topped 1.03 million shares, compared to the 50-day average daily volume of 1.19 million.ADVENTRX Pharmaceuticals (ANX) rallied by 4 cents, or 22%, to 25 cents after the biopharmaceutical company said it has received brand name acceptance from the Food and Drug Administration for its vinorelbine injectable product candidate ANX-530. Volume topped 13.18 million shares, compared to the three-month average daily volume of 23.94 million, according to Yahoo! Finance. -- Written by Robert Holmes in Boston. Check out all of Friday's high-volume, under-$5 stocks at the Dollar Store Follow Robert Holmes on Twitter and become a fan of TheStreet.com on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV