Green Turns To Gold As Thousands Of Stimulus-Funded Energy Projects Are Awarded To Contractors In 2010
SEATTLE, March 11 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Onvia, Inc. (Nasdaq: ONVI) is tracking 2,700 energy efficiency, renewable energy, and transmission upgrade projects kicking off in 2010 as a result of funding in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, signed into law a year ago. Worth billions, these projects will lay the foundation for a green economy that will fuel job and business growth for years to come. Onvia is the leader in gBusiness solutions and the creator of Recovery.org, a private sector initiative to give businesses transparency into recovery project spending.
"Although the majority of the $40 billion in stimulus funds designated for energy projects was intended to be spent quickly, much of it has yet to be awarded to the contractors that will do the work – but that will change in 2010, " said Mike Pickett, CEO of Onvia. "We witnessed a flurry of activity in the second half of 2009 which signals agencies are ready to advertise and award huge sums to contractors so they can get started."
Onvia collaborated with REMI, the recognized authority on economic models, to produce The Next Economy: 2010 Government Market Outlook. Top line findings regarding energy projects include:
- Onvia is tracking 3,400 energy-related ARRA funded initiatives.
- 100,000 new jobs are forecasted as a result of stimulus-funded energy projects, with the lion's share (60,000) in the Southeast. The highest salary per job will be in New England.
- Smart grid projects will lead the way, such as the $851 million grid modernization in IN, KY, NC, and OH; the $639 million installation of 2.2 million smart meters in TX; a $578 million smart grid project in FL; and a $520 million smart grid virtual power plant in NC.
- Energy products and services sought by government agencies will be wide ranging, covering generation, transmission, metering, building automation systems, and security technologies.
- Additional funding will come from Clean Renewable Energy Bonds and the jobs bill.
- According to the Department of Energy, every $1 the government spends on state energy programs results in $7.22 in energy cost savings.
"Government spending is at an all-time high and we do not see that changing in the foreseeable future," said Pickett. "We are witnessing the 'Next Economy' in which government more actively participates in business interests through regulation, direct ownership, contracting requirements, and other means. For business, the debate isn't about the size of government, but rather how to engage in and influence this vast and growing market."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV