By Daka's calculation, this all adds up to an electric Nano with a roughly estimated price tag of around $8,000 to $10,000. That's still, of course, significantly cheaper than, say, Toyota's (TM) gas-electric hybrid 2010 Prius, which is priced at more than $20,000, and the much-anticipated GM plug-in electric Chevrolet Volt, which has a reported price tag of $40,000.
Another eagerly awaited electric vehicle that could soon come to the U.S. is Nissan's (NSANY) Leaf, which Nissan's chief Carlos Ghosn says faces virtually zero competition as it enters the market and will exhibit the largest capacity to make new vehicles compared to all the other automakers trying to introduce an electric car to the market, according to cars.com. The report also says that while Nissan plans to start shipping out the Leaf by the year's end, the automaker is aiming for a production capacity of 500,000 vehicles in North America, Japan and Europe by 2012.
Ultimately, a Nano EV export would probably be cheaper than most any electric vehicle currently on the market. But based on Morningstar's guesstimated price, would it be cheap enough for you to choose it over the other possibilities out there? Take out poll, and see what
TheStreet thinks -- and don't hesitate to leave a comment, while you're at it.
-- Reported by Andrea Tse in New York
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV