"Those are all early-cycle sectors that tend to perform better as the economy picks up steam, and there are signs that the economy is improving -- it's just not hitting on all cylinders yet," Pavlik said. "But if you wait for the job market to turn around, you're going to miss these gains in the market because the job market lags economic improvement."
Boeing shares made the sharpest rise on average, adding 3.3% to $70.01.
Citigroup shares were the most heavily traded on the New York Stock Exchange, followed by Bank of America and Sprint Nextel (S).The NYSE had a listed volume of nearly 5.5 billion, while the Dow saw volume of 185.8 million, compared with an average of 200.4 million. Earlier in the day, the Department of Commerce reported an unexpected 0.2% decline in January wholesale inventories, though sales continued showing strength. Pavlik said lower inventories could be interpreted as a positive sign for future growth. "With inventories low, any increase in demand going forward will mean better growth for future inventories," he said. The U.S. Treasury's $21 billion auction of 10-year notes showed strong demand, nabbing a high yield of 3.735% with an above-average bid-to-cover ratio of 3.45. Indirect bidders, or foreign buyers, took 35% of the bids while direct bidders took 17.5%. Prices across U.S. Treasuries weakened, lifting yields across maturities. The benchmark 10-year's note fell 5/32, raising the yield to 3.718%. The two-year note dropped 2/32, strengthening the yield to 0.907%; the 30-year fell 8/32, raising the yield to 4.688%. Earlier,
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV