( Cisco announcement of CRS-3 router news and acquisition strategy included in this update.)
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Netlist (NLST) shares surged on speculation the memory module maker's technology is featured in Cisco Systems' (CSCO) new router system, which it promises will usher in the next generation of the Internet.
Netlist shares surged higher after Briefing.com made note of a rumor that the company may be involved in Cisco's new CRS-3 router, which the company claims will offer more than 12 times the Internet speed and capacity of its nearest competitor.
In an accompanying press release, Cisco said the increased capacity of the CRS-3 enables the entire printed collection of the Library of Congress to be downloaded in just over one second; every man, woman and child in China to make a video call, simultaneously; and every motion picture ever created to be streamed in less than four minutes.Cisco's press release made no mention of Netlist or its custom memory modules. Netlist and Cisco did not immediately respond to TheStreet's separate requests for comment. In November, Netlist unveiled HyperCloud as a computer module that takes memory chips and makes them perform faster, consume less power, and create higher capacity in computer servers. "A lot of the search applications are memory intensive, like YouTube downloading. That's all driven off of DRAM memory, as opposed to the hard drive," Netlist CEO Chuck Hong told TheStreet in a recent interview. "
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV