Solar Gainer: Hoku Scientific
POCATELLO, ID ( TheStreet) -- It was a longer-time coming than originally anticipated, but Hoku Scientific finally received the rest of the financing its needs to complete construction of its polysilicon plant in Pocatello, Idaho.
Hoku, the Honolulu-based solar company that has been on a declining share price trend since July 2009, was up 6% on Tuesday morning. Hoku announced late Monday that it received the second installment of a total $50 million loan to finance construction of a plant.
Hoku Scientific, based in Honolulu, said the second tranche of $30 million from China-based Tianwei New Energy Holdings was delayed for two weeks due to the Chinese government approval process. However, analysts who cover Hoku had previously stated the financing for the plant had not been proceeding according to plan.
In December, Tianwei New Energy became the majority owner of Hoku Scientific, with control of 60% of Hoku's outstanding shares. In return, Tianwei canceled $50 million in Hoku debt, and agreed to loan Hoku $50 million.Hoku stock tends to move in a volatile fashion on any news related to the plant, and the plant's potential customers, as there have been questions about the financing and customers sticking around during the period of uncertainty. When Solarfun Power (SOLF) announced in late 2009 that it would stick to its payment schedule with Hoku even amid a delay in the plant's financing,
>>See our new stock quote page. Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV