NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Several stocks trading near $5 were poised to move on above-average volume during Tuesday's session.
Jones Soda (JSDA) plummeted by 22 cents, or 26.2%, to 62 cents in the premarket session after the beverage company was purchased at a discount by Reed's (REED). The cash-and-stock deal, worth about $9.7 million, will see Jones shareholders receive an aggregate 4.5 million shares of Reed's common stock and 10 cents per Jones share in cash. The offer values Jones Soda's stock at 37 cents per share, based on Monday's closing price for Reed's shares. The 50-day average daily volume for Jones Soda is 199,000, according to the Nasdaq.
Cerus (CERS) jumped by 34 cents, or 14.4%, to $2.70 in the premarket session after R.W. Baird analysts upgraded shares of the biomedical products maker to outperform. The firm argued that the market is undervaluing Cerus' INTERCEPT Blood System. The 50-day average daily volume for Cerus is 289,000.
U.S. Geothermal (HTX) was poised to lose ground Tuesday after the geothermal resources company said it has agreed to issue 8.2 million common shares at a price of $1.05 per share as part of a $8.6 million private placement financing agreement. The three-month average daily volume for U.S. Geothermal is 298,000, according to Yahoo! Finance.Callon Petroleum (CPE) rallied by 40 cents, or 9.9%, to $4.46 in the premarket session after the oil and gas exploration company posted a fourth-quarter profit of $2.27 a share, compared to a net loss of $21.19 a share in the year-ago quarter. Revenue surged more than 350% to $70.9 million, Callon said. The three-month average daily volume for is 547,000. -- Written by Robert Holmes in Boston. Check out all of Tuesday's high-volume, under-$5 stocks at the Dollar Store Follow Robert Holmes on Twitter and become a fan of TheStreet.com on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV