(Toyota Recall story updated with information on Toyota' April 28 recall announcement on early-2003 Toyota Sequoia SUVs.) AUTO RECALL PHOTO GALLERY: 2010 Toyota Prius
In Sept. of 2009, Toyota announced a recall of approximately 3.8 million vehicles in the U.S. due to floormats that, according to Toyota, had a penchant for coming loose and forcing down accelerators. The problem was suspected in crashes involving Toyota cars that have killed five people.
In Jan. 2010, Toyota issued a series of recalls on 5.6 million vehicles in the U.S., due to sudden acceleration in some vehicles -- the largest-ever recall for Toyota, and among the biggest for an automaker in U.S. history. In February, Toyota recalled another 437,000 units of its 2010 Prius, Sai, Prius PHV (plug-in hybrid) and Lexus HS250h hybrids. Then on March 9 Toyota announced that it would be recalling its 2004-2009 Priuses after news of a runaway car incident the previous day.On that day, a 61-year-old Prius driver found himself in the national spotlight after his accelerator got stuck and took his car to a speed of 94 mph on a San Diego Highway. Fortunately, he was corralled to safety with the help of highway patrolmen. Then, in the same week, another runaway Prius went on a rampage, according to reports. Reports say that a 56-year-old woman was backing out of a driveway in Harrison, N.Y., when her 2005 Prius suddenly accelerated out of control and sent her crashing into a stone wall. According to reports, the ensuing damage was substantial, but no one was seriously hurt. Toyota's problems touched other carmakers too: France's PSA Peugeot Citroen said it recalled nearly 100,000 Peugeot 107s and Citroen C1s made in the Czech Republic, where Toyota and PSA jointly make cars.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV