Updated from 1:17 a.m. EST
The unit is being sold to MetLife for about $15.5 billion, including $6.8 billion in cash and $8.7 billion in equity securities of MetLife.
AIG said the cash portion of the proceeds from this sale will be used to reduce the preferred shares in Alico held by the Federal Reserve Bank of New York.Separately, MetLife said the equity portion of the purchase price will consist of 78.2 million MetLife common shares valued at $3.0 billion, 6.9 million shares of contingent convertible preferred stock valued at $2.7 billion and 40 million equity units having a value of $3 billion. MetLife said it expects the cash portion of the purchase price to be financed through issuing senior debt and common stock as well as cash on hand. The insurer said it expects the transaction to boost its 2011 operating earnings by 45 cents to 55 cents a share, and enable MetLife to increase its estimated 2011 year-end operating return on equity by 140 to 160 basis points. The deal for Alico comes just a week after AIG agreed to sell its Asian life insurance unit to the U.K.'s Prudential (PUK) for $35.5 billion. Shares of AIG closed Friday up $1.37 at $28.08. Shares of MetLife ended the session up 81 cents at $38.92.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV