The transaction is expected to close in about four weeks. Financial terms weren't made public.
Orbital said the acquisition would enhance its position in the market for national security space systems, including spacecraft used in intelligence and surveillance and missile tracking. The deal also would strengthen Orbital's capabilities to design and make certain satellite systems, the company said in a statement.
GD Advanced Information Systems has built 15 small- and medium-class satellites for the U.S. Air Force, NASA, and other government customers over the last 20 years.General Dynamics shares rose 60 cents, or 0.8%, to $73.54 in after-hours trading Thursday. The announcement of the deal was made after the stock market closed. Orbital shares declined 3 cents to $18.61 in the regular trading session. -- Reported by Joseph Woelfel in New York. Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV