NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The markets closed higher Thursday on light volume in anticipation of the jobs report .
The Dow Jones Industrial Average was up 47.38, or 0.46%, to 10,444.14, while the S&P 500 added 4.18, or 0.37%, to 1,122.97. The Nasdaq rose 11.63, or 0.51%, to 2,292.31.
Steve Liesman said on CNBC's "Fast Money" TV show on that Friday's jobs report could be a "mess," with estimates ranging from a loss of 150,000 to 250,000 jobs because of the snow storms. On the positive side, he said a "unknown" number of census workers will be hired.
As a result, he said Friday's report won't add much clarity to the jobs situation.According to Liesman, the Fed is looking for four solid months of job growth before contemplating a move to raise interest rates.
3 Stocks I Saw on TV
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV