WASHINGTON ( TheStreet) -- The number of first timers applying for state unemployment insurance inched lower last week, according to a Labor Department report released Thursday, a day before the release of a highly anticipated jobs report.
The number of initial jobless claims fell by 29,000 to a seasonally adjusted 469,000 for the week ending Feb. 27. The final figure landed in line with analysts' estimates, who anticipated a fall to 470,000 from a pre-revised 495,000.
The four-week moving average, which tends to smooth out distortions during the month, also showed improvement, declining by 3,250 to 470,450.
The number of those continuing to receive benefits fell to 4.5 million for the week ending Feb. 20, from 4.634 million the week before.The Labor Department on Friday is set to release a more complete snapshot of February's jobs market. Nonfarm payrolls are expected to have lost another 65,000 jobs last month, while the unemployment rate probably edged a tenth of a percentage point higher to 9.8%. But many expect some distortions to show up in the figures because of the relentless snowfall that hit much of the country last month. Thursday's initial claims report suggested as much. In its state-by-state breakdown for the week of Feb. 20 -- a week that reflected a sharp upward climb in initial jobless claims -- many states in the northeast reported the biggest jumps. New Jersey saw the most marked increase, as the rough weather caused office closures and a backlog in claims. Still, market observers already received some improving hints of what's ahead for Friday. One assessment from Automatic Data Processing (ADP) showed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV