Beyond that, Sprague is targeting other practical uses of Wave Systems' technology, like in the health care industry.
"The probability is that all of the machines in the health care industry have a common device for authentication in the box. But it has still yet to be turned on," Sprague says. "It's in the early stages of awareness and there are great advocates of its use, like the U.S. government."
But for now, Sprague is delighted that the emerging market of hardware-based digital security has gotten big enough and strong enough to fund the development of the technology in the market itself. As the lone company to support both trusted platform modules and self-encrypting drives, Sprague says Wave Systems is the main beneficiary of greater awareness of the technology.
"The need for data-protection and network access and the performance of solutions have become very clearly understood," he says. "Security is now something you can buy that's built-in, and it is emerging as an interesting solution. Don't staple on security afterwards. Don't tape an airbag to your steering wheel. Buy it built in."-- Written by Robert Holmes in Boston. Follow Robert Holmes on Twitter and become a fan of TheStreet.com on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV