NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Germany moved ahead with plans to send its much-debated solar feed-in tariff reductions to parliament on Wednesday, and Europe is just getting going.
Italy is reportedly to move forward with changes to its solar incentives on Thursday.
Italy industry minister Claudio Scajola told Reuters that the revised solar incentive scheme would be unveiled Thursday. However, another Italian official told Reuters that the "Unified Conference of State and Regions" needs to approve the plan before it goes to industry and environment ministers to be signed. This meeting has not been set up yet, the official said.
The message was slightly confusing. The news service said that based on the comments from the Italian officials, the meeting would have to be organized within a matter of hours. However, at the same time, Reuters gave no indication that there was a chance that the solar incentive reductions would not be presented on Thursday.Maybe more important than Italian government meeting agenda protocol were the numbers quoted by the Italian industry minister. The industry minister noted that Italy's booming solar market has already hit the 1 gigawatt (GW) level, and the current feed-in tariff scheme expires when the market reaches 1.2 GW. However, there had been prior indications that Italy would not enact the changes to its feed-in tariffs until, at earliest, Jan. 1, 2011. It is clear that if Italy is currently at 1 GW of solar capacity, there is no way it will not reach 1.2 GW well before the end of 2010. German prime minister
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV