When the Microsoft (MSFT)-powered PC industry became bogged down under the weight of Windows Vista and virtual pounds of bloatware and spyware, Apple Macs hit their stride as a sleek, simple, bug-free alternative. But today, thanks to a more stable Windows 7 operating system that borrows some good looks from Apple, PCs aren't so bad anymore. The rush to convert to Macs has quieted down thanks in part to a bevy of improved PCs.
Apple's market share slipped slightly in the fourth quarter to 7.5% from the 7.7% level it held in the year-ago period, according to Gartner. A big hurdle to Apple's mass market success is its incompatibility with PC software, but an even bigger barrier is the shocking contrast in prices. You can buy two PCs for the price of one Mac. According to Technology Business Research, the average Mac goes for $1,309, while the average PC goes for $570.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV