BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- Telecom stocks are among the worst performers this year, falling an average of 11% and ranking 149th of 154 industry groups on the S&P 500. Still, the following five companies garner "buy" ratings from TheStreet's quantitative model.
5. Windstream (WIN) provides telecom services in rural areas of the U.S.
The numbers: Fourth-quarter profit decreased 7% to $76 million, or 17 cents a share, as revenue declined 3% to $754 million. The operating margin contracted from 36% to 34%. Windstream holds $1.1 billion of cash and $6.3 billion of debt.
The stock: Windstream has dropped 5% over the past year, lagging behind major U.S. indices. The stock trades at a price-to-projected-earnings ratio of 13, on par with competitors. It offers a 9.7% dividend yield, but an excessive payout ratio of 131%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV