Merriman Curran analyst Richard Fetyko upgraded the stock to buy in a research note Wednesday citing market share stability and the ever-rising tide of Internet traffic.
The Cambridge, Mass. Internet freight hauler -- or content delivery network operator -- has seen its shares rise more than 8% this year amid a period when tech investors were selling heavily.
Fetyko says the price war among Net delivery shops has reached a truce, and that competitors like Level 3 (LVLT), Global Crossing (GLBC) and AT&T (T) have not had success cutting into Akamai's business.Akamai also managed to bid low enough to win a contract with Netflix (NFLX), as the video rental company moves toward online delivery, says Fetyko. The Netflix win illustrates how it may be possible for Internet traffic gains to more-than offset the pace of price cuts by Akamai. The bullish scenario remains the same for Akamai: The Internet is growing. Or as Fetyko puts it: "More web-connected devices like the (Apple (AAPL)) iPad, mobile devices, IPTV, and HD content will continue to drive volumes up dramatically in the next two-three years. Akamai shares were up 2% to $27.92 in premarket trading Wednesday. -- Written by Scott Moritz in New York. Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV