The stores rolled out in Maryland, Mississippi, New York, Oregon and Pennsylvania, with plans to open a total of about 30 new stores by the end of the year.
This comes as other retailers continue to shutter stores and lay off employees. Last week, Sears (SHLD) said it would close 21 stores and eliminate about 1,000 positions. Of the stores closing, eight will be Sears department stores and the other 12 will be Kmart stores. The closings are expected to be completed by May 9.
Sears already closed 27 stores during the fourth quarter and 62 stores in total in 2009.Earlier this year, Macy's (M), Home Depot (HD), Wal-Mart (WMT) and Borders (BGP) also revealed plans to close stores and cut jobs. -- Reported by Jeanine Poggi in New York.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV