Novell Gets Buyout Offer; Shares Rise
Updated with premarket prices
In a statement, Novell acknowledged receipt of the unsolicited proposal from Elliott for $5.75 a share in cash. Novell shares closed Tuesday at $4.75, but soared 25.9%, or $1.23, to $5.98 in after-hours trading. The Elliott offer was disclosed just after the market closed Tuesday.
In premarket trades Wednesday, the stock rose to $6.11.Elliott already owns about 8.5% of enterprise software maker Novell, meaning its offer is for the remainder. Elliott portfolio manager Jesse Cohn, in a letter to Novell's board, said the private-equity firm's offer implies an enterprise value, net cash, of $1 billion. Elliott said its offer price represents a premium of 49% over Novell's current enterprise value and 77% over Novell's 90-day volume-weighted average enterprise value. "By any measure, we believe our proposal represents a compelling opportunity that your stockholders will find extremely attractive," the letter said. Elliott began buying Novell shares around Jan. 4. It said its offer is a premium of 115% over Novell's enterprise value on that date. -- Reported by Joseph Woelfel in New York. Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV