7 Reasons the Bulls to Run in March
With all the talk about debt, deficits and value destruction in the news lately, I figured you could stand to hear something positive for a change. So with thanks to the analysts at ISI Group in New York, here are some strengths in the U.S. and global economy to put into your mix of thoughts:
7. The Recovery Is Just Getting Started: The past nine economic expansions have lasted 62 months on average. We are probably now in only the eighth month of the current expansion. (An expansion starts when a recession ends.)
6. We Have Years of Growth Ahead: The last expansion, from late 2002 to mid-2007, was 73 months, or slightly longer than average. Other recent expansions included 120 months (1991-2000); 1983-1990 (92 months); 1980-81 (12 months); 1975-1979 (58 months); 1971-1973 (36 months); 1961-1969 (106 months). So you can see, most are multiyear affairs.
5. Yes, the Labor Market Is Improving: Unemployment may be stagnant, but on a trailing 12-month average basis, it is improving quite a bit, which is how investors tend to see it. (The one-month snapshots are deceiving). As the labor market improves, retail sales are turning up, and as retail sales turn up, the labor market has improved. That's another one of those virtuous cycles.
More From Investor Place
|Five Hot Stocks for March|
|Three Emerging Market ETFs to Short|
|Free Investing Guide|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV