WASHINGTON (TheStreet) -- How is a vehicle that gets 17 mpg considered "fuel efficient" while another that gets 24 mpg is labeled a gas guzzler? It's all in the eye of the beholder.
Category testing, such as the kind that Consumer Reports conducts for its fuel efficiency ratings, raises many consumption questions. Should the owners of the most efficient pickup and minivan get medals for conserving three to seven mpg less than the least efficient model, or should they be flogged for using more fuel than the least efficient subcompact? Are the most efficient SUVs helping the Earth or are they just part of the problem because they eat as much fuel as the cheaper, least efficient small car?
The value of a vehicle often depends on the values of consumers. With that in mind, Consumer Reports looked for the most and least fuel-efficient vehicles in each category. While some of the winners and losers spend equal time at the pump, the reasons for owning them are worlds apart.
Take a look at The Most and Least Fuel-Efficient Cars of 2010
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV