BOSTON (TheStreet) -- American Express (AXP), Capital One Financial (COF) and Citigroup (C) raised the interest rates of some popular credit cards before the Credit Card Accountability, Responsibility and Disclosure (CARD) Act took effect on Feb. 22.
The CARD Act forbids issuers from raising interest rates less than a year after an account is opened and forces them to apply payments to balances with the highest rates first. Issuers must also give 45 day's notice before changing rates.
These regulations are meant to help cardholders, but they will likely cut into issuers' revenue, prompting some to pre-emptively boost rates. While the prime rate has remained at a low of 3.25% since December 2008, the average annual percentage rate (APR) for credit cards increased almost two percentage points since May 22, when the law was signed.
According to the LowCards Complete Credit Card Index, which tracks the APRs of more than 1,000 credit cards, the average advertised APR on Feb. 22 was 13.54%, up from 11.64% on May 22. The rates on some of the nation's most popular cards have increased even more significantly since October 2008:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV