I recently talked with Paramount Gold CEO Christopher Crupi about development of the company's San Miguel mine in Mexico and the miner's prospects.
Mining is a risky business. It can take as much as 10 years for a junior to start extracting metal, during which the company might have to undergo a series of equity offerings and asset sales to raise capital.
Mining stocks typically offer a 3 to 1 leverage to gold's spot price. The popular physically backed gold ETF, SPDR Gold Shares (GLD), is averaging a year-to-date return of 27.12% while the Market Vectors Junior Gold Miners ETF (GDX), a basket of large-cap miners, has a year-to-date return of 37.28%. Small-cap mining stocks could offer even more leverage.Junior miners typically have a market cap of under $1.5 billion. They are also primarily in the exploration or developmental stage of production. As above ground gold supply tightens and investment demand grows, gold prices will keep rising, providing big opportunities for investors who can gamble with the juniors. TheStreet: When do you expect to actually pull metal out of the ground? Crupi: The project would be on schedule for three years from now. And we'd be looking for a partner to
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV