Some of our larger holdings in this space include the Midwestern convenience-store chain Casey's General Stores (CASY) and Ruddick Corp. (RDK) -- the owner of Harris Teeter supermarkets. One of our newer holdings is Seneca Foods (SENEA), the largest private-label producer of canned vegetables.
Which sector or stock would you avoid?
Shircliff: We remain cautious on the banking industry. We had modest investments in banks leading into the credit crisis, and we continue to be significantly underweight. The regulatory environment for banks remains highly uncertain, credit losses continue to climb, and it's not clear that in the future the banking model will merit the valuations we've seen in the past. There are still a lot of companies in the financials space with better prospects and more visibility than most banks.
-- Reported by Gregg Greenberg in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV