NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Stocks closed higher Monday as a surge in M&A activity, a rise in consumer spending and reports that a bailout plan for Greece is in the works eased concerns about the recovery's sustainability.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average closed up 79 points, or 0.8%, to 10,404. The S&P 500 gained 11 points, or 1%, to 1116 and the Nasdaq went higher by 35 points, or 1.6%, to 2274.
"Our concern -- and a broad swatch of the market's concern -- is not whether we're in a recovery, but whether we'll be able to sustain the recovery," said Jim Baird, partner and chief investment strategist for Plante Moran Financial Advisors.Baird said the market is looking for signs that the recovery will hold up even after there's a handoff to consumers when government spending fades. "Signs that there will be some favorable resolution to Greece debt issues, all the M&A news -- which is generally deemed to be a bullish factor for equities -- and signs that consumers are feeling better enough about their situations to ramp up spending, all of these factors came together today to make markets more positive about the recovery's sustainability," Baird said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV