Astellas In Hostile Bid for OSI: BioBuzz
Astellas is seeking to acquire all outstanding shares of OSI Pharma for $52 a share, representing a 40% premium over OSI Pharma's Friday closing price of $37.02, Astellas announced Monday.
The hostile tender offer for OSI Pharma comes after numerous previous entreaties by Astellas to buy the U.S. drugmaker were spurned, Astellas said in a statement.
"This offer follows our attempts over the past 13 months to engage OSI in meaningful discussions. We firmly believe in the compelling strategic rationale behind the combination and the opportunity it provides to the OSI stockholders to realize full and fair value, in cash, immediately," said Masafumi Nogimori, president and CEO of Astellas, in a statement.Sales of OSI Pharma's lung cancer drug Tarceva rose 17% to $1.2 billion in 2009. Tarceva is co-marketed by the Swiss drug giant Roche/Genentech. Last year, Astellas launched an unsuccessful and hostile tender offer for U.S. drugmaker CV Therapeutics, which was ultimately acquired by Gilead Sciences (GILD). -- Reported by Adam Feuerstein in Boston. Follow Adam Feuerstein on Twitter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV