Updated to include premarket stock price
Merck's agreement to buy Millipore, a maker of biotech equipment, follows reports last week that Millipore was in talks to be acquired by Thermo Fisher Scientific (TMO). The deal's value was reported as $6 billion, excluding debt.
"This transaction is very attractive to shareholders, customers and employees of both companies," said Karl-Ludwig Kley, chairman of Merck's executive board of Merck, in a statement. "This is a combination with an excellent strategic fit, which will allow us to cover the entire value chain for our pharma and biopharma customers, offering integrated solutions beyond chemicals."Merck and Millipore said the merger would create a $2.9 billion partnership in the life sciences sector, "achieving significant scale in high-margin specialty products with an attractive growth profile." Merck's offer is a 13.3% premium to Millipore's closing price Friday of $94.41. Millipore shares closed Friday, Feb. 19, the last day before news of a deal broke, at $71.34. Millipore shares were changing hands at $105.09 in premarket trading Monday. Merck anticipates that the transaction will be completed in the second half of 2010. Approval is needed from Millipore shareholders. -- Reported by Joseph Woelfel in New York. Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV