All this will clearly take quite a bit of effort: Tiger used to be number six on the Davie Brown Index in terms of his attractiveness as a celebrity endorser, he's now 147.
It might come as no surprise then that the largest portion of voters in our recent poll asking, "In light of Tiger's televised apology last week, which sponsors do you think handled their relationship with Woods most prudently?" answered, "Accenture (ACN) and AT&T (T)." Those companies were the first to walk away from Tiger -- and they also walked away with 48.4% of the votes.
But the ones that received the least support from our voters were the one that have been trying to have it both ways -- the sponsors that have been hanging out in the shadows, namely, P&G's (PG) Gillette, Tag Heuer, and PepsiCo's (PEP) Gatorade received the least number of votes, at 24.7%.Interestingly, it appears that Gatorade got the hint. On Dec. 8, when Gatorade announced that it was discontinuing the "Gatorade Tiger Focus" drink, the company said the decision had nothing to with the scandal. Our poll was published on Feb. 20, and ran on the site throughout the past week. On Feb. 26, Gatorade announced that it was dropping Tiger as a Gatorade endorser. "We no longer see a role for Tiger in our marketing efforts and have ended our relationship," a Gatorade representative said in a statement. Ouch.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV