Updated from 02/27/10
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Investors will turn the calendar another page in the coming week, but their focus will be on the same old thing: whether the U.S. can finally capture the elusive jobs growth needed to boost confidence in the sluggish recovery.
Stocks managed gains in February, despite sovereign debt fears in Europe and concerns due to uncertainty about the economy. The Dow Jones Industrial Average gained 2.6% during the month, as the S&P 500 added 2.9%. Jitters about Greece's debt and eurozone difficulties may linger into the coming week.
But the nonfarm payrolls report by the Labor Department, due Friday, looms large, as the nation's labor market struggles remain the economy's sticky wicket.> > Bull or Bear? Vote in Our Poll Lawmakers and regulators turned their gaze more intently on the problem this past week. The Senate passed a $15 billion jobs stimulus bill. Among other items, the package included a social security tax exemption on each new hire for the rest of the year. In his testimony to the House Financial Services Committee on Wednesday, Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke also said labor market woes
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV