After being swamped with snow just a few weeks ago, the Northeast was gearing up for another wild ride. The storm, dubbed the "Snowicane," was expected to cause powerful winds, immobilizing snow, whiteouts, horizontal rain and flooding. Not only does this kind of extreme weather cause hazardous driving conditions, it also cost millions of dollars in snow removal costs and other damages.
In New York, for example, it costs the city an estimated $1 million per inch to plow the snow. And Planalytics, a Pennsylvania based firm that specializes in business-related weather forecasting, estimates the wintry messes in February topped $100 million a day during the worst weather when you add up overtime expenses, reduced productivity and lost sales.
But while some companies flake out when it snows, five stocks in particular are poised to cash in big-time because of this winter's extreme weather.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV