Industrials make up another 20% of assets, with conglomerate Empresas Copec the No. 1 holding in ECH, at 13.6% of assets, and LAN Airlines (LFL) (LFL), a top 10 holding, with 4.4% of assets.
Beyond the top three sectors, the next two each have more than 9% of assets: financials and consumer staples. Half of the financial exposure comes from Banco Santander (SAN), while more than half of the consumer staples exposure is contained retailer Cencosud.
Overall, iShares MSCI Chile has 32 holdings, sufficient for diversification. The largest holding is less than 15% of assets, which keeps the fund from being over-reliant on a single holding, but the 72% invested in the top 10 holdings is a bit on the high side. Still, assets are diversified across sectors and, given the size and characteristics of Chile's economy, this is probably more diverse than most investors expect from a Chile ETF.
Chile is a country that has moved beyond the developing-market stage and is on its way to becoming a developed nation. The economy will remain dependent on copper prices, but less so as time goes on. Over the long term, this country and its equities should continue to be a more stable performer in the region.Performance has also been strong in the recent past. Year to date in 2010, ECH has a positive return and is the second best performing country ETF in this region. -- Written by Don Dion in Williamstown, Mass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV