AMSTERDAM ( TheStreet) -- Dutch insurer Aegon (AEG), which owns the Transamerica insurance company in the U.S., swung to a fourth-quarter profit as it benefited from gains on investments and lower impairments.
Earnings were 393 million euros, a swing from a year-earlier loss of 1.18 billion euros.
"Clearly, the steps we have taken over the past year have delivered solid results -- a return to profit, reduced expenses, and continued customer confidence, resulting in increased sales in all country units," said CEO Alex Wynaendts, in a statement.
In the Americas, underlying earnings were $446 million compared with a loss of $412 million a year earlier as a recovery in financial markets had a positive effect on both technical results and fee income.Given the uncertain environment, we believe that it continues to be prudent to maintain a substantial capital buffer, as reflected in our strong capital position. Although impairments improved during the quarter, they remained at elevated levels for the year, which led to lower cash flows from our operating units," the CEO said. "Consequently, Aegon will not declare a dividend to common shareholders." -- Reported by Joseph Woelfel in New York. Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV