Updated from 2:25 a.m. EST
EDINBURGH, Scotland ( TheStreet) -- Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS), the U.K. bank 84%-owned by the government, narrowed its 2009 loss to 3.6 billion pounds ($5.52 billion) from a year-earlier loss of 24.3 billion pounds.
RBS said its 2009 operating loss narrowed to 6.2 billion pounds from a year-earlier loss of 6.9 billion pounds.
RBS said impairments rose sharply to 13.9 billion pounds from 7.4 billion pounds in 2008, "but now appear likely to have peaked." Fourth-quarter impairments were 5% lower than the third quarter and "risk elements in lending" at the end of 2009 were unchanged from 35 billion pounds at the end of September.The bank's core Tier 1 capital ratio improved to 11%. The bank's fourth-quarter loss was 765 million pounds, narrower than a loss of 1.8 billion pounds in the third quarter. -- Reported by Joseph Woelfel in New York. Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV