SAN JOSE, Calif. ( TheStreet) -- Cisco (CSCO) plans to announce next month new technology for communications service providers to offer more advanced, high-speed Internet connections, Reuters reports, citing a source familiar with the plan.
Cisco's plan comes as the Federal Communications Commission is set to demand faster Internet speeds as part of its National Broadband Plan to be unveiled on March 17.
Cisco, a maker of networking equipment such as routers and switches, said it would unveil technology on March 9 that will "forever change the Internet," Reuters reports. Cisco said on its Web site the change would show "what's possible when networking gets an adrenaline boost," Reuters says.
The sources told Reuters the new Cisco technology would help telecom service providers like phone companies offer better, high-speed Internet service.The FCC wants minimum Internet data transmission speeds of 100 megabits per second (Mbps) to 100 million homes within a decade, compared with current industry estimates of less than 4 Mbps, Reuters notes. -- Written by Joseph Woelfel in New York. Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV