Launched in 1996, the iShares MSCI Mexico Investable Market Index Fund (EWW) is currently the only pure play ETF available for investors looking for access to the U.S.' southern neighbor.
Sector exposure is in line with the economy. Telecommunications account for 35% of assests, followed by 23% in consumer staples, 14% in materials, 13% in consumer discretionary and 8% in industrials.
Although the fund is designed to track the broad Mexican market through an index consisting of 45 holdings, its performance is largely dependent on the success of a small number of these constituents. Carlos Slim's telecommunications firm, America Movil (AMX), accounts for nearly a quarter of the fund's total portfolio. Other top holdings include Wal-Mart de Mexico (WMMVY) and cement giant Cemex (CX). Together, these top holdings make up 40% of the fund's index.
EWW's Performance has remained negative through the first part of 2010, but its growth in the most recent one-year period ending Feb. 23 has been impressive. In that time, the fund has managed to gain more than 100%.Given the top-heavy nature of EWW, I would advise investors looking to hold this fund to keep exposure small. Also, it is essential that investors continually monitor the performance of the instrument and the holdings dominating its index. If any of these top weighted companies see a volatile move, its effect on EWW's performance will be significant. Stay tuned for a look at Chile later today. -- Written by Don Dion in Williamstown, Mass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV