Wholesale power generation company TransAlta (TAC) is a highly shorted stock that focuses on the Canadian power generation market. Competition and increased balance sheet leverage have pushed TransAlta's short interest ratio to 17.6.
Despite the investing headwinds TransAlta faces right now, the company has enough fundamental prowess to make this week's short-squeeze list. TransAlta is solidly profitable, with nearly double-digit net margins and increasing demand in its operating area. And with the company's earnings scheduled for today, the chances of seeing an upside breakout are very real.
TransAlta certainly has some big names on its side. One of those is George Soros, the billionaire investor who owns shares of TransAlta through his firm, Soros Fund Management. Other Soros holdings include PetroBras (PBR) and Monsanto (MON).
For the rest of this week's short-squeeze opportunities, including McCormick (MKC) and Strayer Education (STRA), check out the Mid-Cap Stock Short-Squeeze portfolio at Stockpickr. And to find short-squeeze plays of your own, be sure to check out the Stockpickr Answers community for insights and investment ideas.-- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV