A lack of growth, weak consumer spending, softer-than-expected advertising "click-through" rates and now the rise of regulatory scrutiny have helped put Google shares in a funk.
On Wednesday, adding to the woes in Google's search ad business, European regulators started to look at charges that the search giant may be treating competitors unfairly.
And though the probe is merely an informal review by the E.U., some analysts say it's just the beginning of an era for Google that is very much akin to the persistent regulatory slaparound Microsoft (MSFT) has earned over the past two decades."Due to Google's dominating position in search, the regulatory scrutiny will likely surface more often," Collins Stewart analyst Sandeep Aggarwal wrote in a research note Wednesday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV