MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. (TheStreet) -- European antitrust authorities have opened a preliminary probe into complaints by three European Internet companies about Google's (GOOG) tactics of lowering their rank in search results that appear on Google sites, Google revealed.
Julia Holtz, Google's senior competition counsel, wrote in a blog post that the EU has received complaints from a U.K. price comparison site, Foundem, a French legal search engine called ejustice.fr and Microsoft's (MSFT) Ciao! from Bing.
Foundem argues that Google's algorithms demote their site in the search results because it is a vertical search engine and so a direct competitor to Google. Ciao! has complained about Google's standard terms and conditions.
"While we will be providing feedback and additional information on these complaints, we are confident that our business operates in the interests of users and partners," Holtz wrote.Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV