NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- WellPoint (WLP) shares fell as much as 1.5% Tuesday after the California Insurance Commissioner said late Monday that subsidiary Anthem Blue Cross could be fined $7 million for claims handling irregularities.
Following an investigation into consumer complaints, California Insurance Commissioner Steve Poizner said the insurance department had found more than 700 violations of state's claims handling law.
Wellpoint failed to respond to state requests to hand over certain documents to investigate consumer complaints, according to SNL Financial. Additionally, it misrepresented policy provisions to consumers, SNL Financial said.
Poizner said that if these violations are proven to be willful, Anthem Blue Cross would face a maximum penalty of $10,000 for each violation committed from 2006 through 2009. These fines would not help a company that is already intending to increase rates for its policyholders by up to 39% because it claims it is losing money in California.WellPoint stock is down 1.1% to $58.80 in recent trading. --Reported by Gavin Magor in Jupiter, Fla.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV